Thursday, November 5, 2015

Elements Of Design: Line

Elements Of Design: Line


        This week in Interior Design we are learning about the elements of design.  Our first element of design is Line.  There are four different types of "line" in design.  Horizontal line, Vertical line, Diagonal line, and curved line.  Your choice of emphasizing these types of lines show what mood you want to create in a room.  I will be showing pictures with each of these lines portrayed in them, and a small explanation of why I chose each picture for the designated line.

Horizontal Line:



Both of these pictures have a very Horizontal feel to me.  The lines run Horizontal all over the log cabin home, and on the hot tub and wall in the 2nd picture.  When I look at these two pictures it just seems long, and I look from side to side when I look at these photos.  Especially in the 2nd picture, these lines seem very informal instead of a strong, bold vertical line.

Vertical Line:



Both of these photos have a very crisp and vertical feel to them.  In the first room the windows are very tall, and they make you look up and down instead of across.  As soon as I looked at this first vertical photo I noticed that it seemed warm compared to the second picture, and the long stone structure on the wall struck me as vertical right away.  This second picture also stuck out to me because of the long stone structure.  This room has a much darker, cooler feel to it.

Diagonal Line:



As soon as I looked at these pictures I noticed the diagonal lines in the room.  I think the colors in these rooms bring a warm feel to both.  Even though the second picture is a wine cellar, and those rooms aren't thought to be very "warm."  The Diagonal Roof on the log cabin adds such a different yet cozy feel to the room.  The diagonal lines and colors in the wine cellar cause the room to look very vibrant, fresh, and stylish.

Curved Line:



These pictures are very different, but to me the curved feature of the light fixture in the first photo, and windows in the 2nd photo really stuck out.  The first photo seems very friendly, and inviting.  Right away my eyes locked on the interesting curved ceiling and lights.  Along with the table, it made the whole room appear to have somewhat of a curve to it.  The second photo on the other hand, seems much more classic, and sophisticated.  Everything is a lot lighter and more delicate.  The curved windows really stuck out to me, and the curved mirror above the fireplace.

These different types of lines can really affect the mood or appearance of a room when you walk in to it.  When you have a more simple room, to me, the lines of a room really pop.  When you have a room with lots of clutter, they're a little harder to depict.    








1 comment:

  1. Great Examples Taylor & excellent blog posts this quarter

    ReplyDelete