Thursday, December 3, 2015

Great Gatsby Inspired Polyvore


           This past week in Interior Design we watched the movie "The Great Gatsby."  Our task following the movie was to create 2 different Polyvore mood boards that reflect the style evoked in the movie for an interested client.
           The style in this movie was a journey through the 1920's great style and architecture.  The swinging twenties were defined by the Art Deco style - geometric shapes, streamlining and clean linens, and influenced greatly by the glitz and glamour of early Hollywood decor.
           For my mood board I put a few pictures of winding staircases, marquetry flooring, and ornate crystal chandeliers. According to Architectural Digest the grandest creation was Gatsby's vast ballroom, the site of his legendary parties.  The space features a gold-filigreed ceiling hung with ornate crystal chandeliers, a marquetry floor, towering columns between the windows, and a serpentine staircase-a flourish presumably installed by Gatsby.  I thought that these were all beautiful features that could be put into the home.

           Colors of the Gatsby talks about the main colors throughout the mansion in the movie The Great Gatsby.  I have pictures on my mood board in the top right hand corner of some of the main colors, and also a picture of lavender flowers which was also a main color.  The floors in this movie were dark and glossy.  While the walls were creamy tones of stone or marble, and the warm woodwork color on the floor made the large space seemed much more inviting which I liked.  Bold colors were used in some homes, usually in halls and virtually always paired with black.  Green was the most used color, but needs to be very bright and full of life.
         Lastly I added a couple small touches like the white flowers, the art, feathered pillow, and the couch on the top left.  I did this because according to Designers go for the Gatsby Look It's all plumped cushions, muted yellows, plums, and warm cozy neutrals,  It;s not very bold, but it sure does look comfy.  There were also many floral designs, and big tapestries played a huge part in the movie, and in my room.  I have a picture of the heavier drapes I chose at the top of my board, next to the big window which I really liked the look of.
        There are many different things that contributed to this room, and I think the way everything fits together is so interesting and fun.





1 comment:

  1. I like how you made a collage of actual pictures instead of individual pieces. The color scheme goes really well together that you chose!

    ReplyDelete